Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It has its quirks, but I love the Babycook!


This truly is an all-in-one machine for making your own baby food, and it's better than steaming separately and then pureeing in a Cuisinart or other food processor, because every brand of food processor I know of currently has BPA in the plastic part that holds the food (and hot food can cause the BPA to leach into baby's food). As a bonus, I plan to use my Babycook beyond the baby food years to make purees so I can secretly add nutritious ingredients to family dishes when my son gets old enough to start refusing to eat his vegetables. Something not mentioned in the guide's review is that you can cook and puree meat and fish in the Babycook, too--not just fruits and veggies.
I like being able to make a big batch of food in one session, freeze it in baby food trays, and then just reheat a couple of cubes in the Babycook without compromising the nutritional value of the food by microwaving it. On the downside, I agree that the instructions are nearly useless in the beginning, but it's not too difficult to figure out what works for different types of food based on the very limited list available. It steams within resonable time. It's cool because I just leave it steaming and it will shut off by itself (the time it steams depends on how much water you put in). However, I don't like that the food tends to get TOO hot in the reheating cycle, even when it starts out frozen, so I have to stick it back in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes and wait for it to cool before I can feed my hungry baby. Blending is so easy. I will put the steamed fruits or veggies in the water they were steamed in. Then I'll add a little breastmilk or prune juice. You do have to hold the nob when blending or it will shut off, but big woopty doo! It only takes a minute or so for the tougher veggies. As far as cleaning. The most difficult part is taking the blade off, and even that is easy! I have yet to cut myself. Once that blade is off though, it can all be thrown in the dishwasher! Perhaps my biggest complaint is that it has a tendency to leak from underneath the blade, which simply sits over the hole in the bottom of the main food compartment. This isn't annoying enough to make me not want to use it, but it definitely qualifies as a design flaw in my book (or maybe it's user error in this case, and I missed something in the so-called instruction manual??). Overall, even with these minor issues, it's easy to use, easy to clean, and helps me make really healthy, organic food for my baby, so what's not to love. And since I hope to be using it for several more years as my child continues to grow and with any other babies I might have, I think it was totally worth the investment!


*disclaimer* this is a personal review and I was not paid by the company to give it








No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are sent to the blog owner and awaits approval before publishing to the page