Thursday, November 20, 2014

Oh the Irony : breastfeeding doll and toys that require your child to play with poop

Do y'all remember a couple of years ago, when a certain doll came out that had everyone in an uproar because it was considered to be unnatural and forcing little girls to grow up too fast?  

In case you forgot or didn't hear about such a doll let me refresh your memory

The Breast Milk Baby  



This doll caused such an uproar within a small circle of mommy friends who felt that it was an inappropriate toy for my child to play with but for theirs as well. I had a few mothers thrilled to see such a doll and decided to get one for their child as well. I had one mom tried to get me to give it to her child as a gift instead of my own child (for $89.99 that was not going to happen). But two years ago this doll was the negative talk around a certain circle of Mommy friends.

Now this is what I find ironic. These moms talked about my child playing with a breast milk baby, something that is the most natural thing in the world but guess what hot new toys they are buying their daughters this year?






What I don't get is how is letting your child play with a Laloopsy doll who poops out charms? That doesn't seem quite natural to me. I have send some weird dirty diapers but not once had I send any charms come out and I don't think I would want to wear anything that my child poops out. Or what about the Barbie Doll who is picking up poop from her dog. I just don't get these moms. You will allow your child to play with poop but they can't  play with a doll whose sole purpose is to normalize breastfeeding? 

Breastfeeding is the most natural beautiful thing thing in the world. So why not allow your child to play with a doll like that teaches her about breastfeeding? I just don't get it. A few of these moms went in on me for giving such a doll to my child, But hey as a child myself I nursed my baby dolls and would have loved to have had a breastfeeding doll if they had been out. But I can tell you right now that my mom wouldn't have brought it because of the price.  I am however thankful for the other moms who have join forces and purchased one of these dolls for their daughters, so we can educate and help normalize breastfeeding. 




I even recommend these dolls when I teach my breastfeeding classes and sibling classes. They are good to have on hand (or any other doll would work just fine) so when momma is nursing her newborn Big sister can pretend she is nursing her baby as well. Even with out a new baby in the household, these are such a wonderful doll for kids to play with. Babies were born to breastfeed, its the most beautiful thing in the world. My daughter only breastfeed her baby doll and I see nothing wrong with it. Its not sick nor pervert, nor is she going to become a teen mom. She is doing what she sees me do, what she seen other women do when its times to feed their babies. As a matter of fact, none of her dolls have bottles. Even the dolls who come with bottles, they are simply taken away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are sent to the blog owner and awaits approval before publishing to the page