Friday, April 5, 2013

Easter Traditions


One of the most exciting thing I love about being a mother is the fact that I can create fun traditions with my kids that will create a life time of memories. I want my children to know that as long as I am living they will have Easter baskets waiting for them by the door. Even when they are grown with families of their own they will still have Easter baskets.

When it comes to Easter baskets I don't believe in buying a carbon copy pre made basket off the shelf. I think parents should make their kids own baskets and fill them with stuff that the kids like. Unlike those prepaid baskets you can control the price and what goes in them. I mean have anyone really looked at a pre made basket? I saw one for $19 that look like it didn't have $19 worth of stuff inside of it. As a kid I can remember only having three Easter baskets my entire life.

Now before I get negative emails from all the spiritual folks that follow my blog let me saw this. My children are well aware of the spiritual meaning of Easter as well as the secular meaning. They understand that Easter sunday or resurrection Sunday is the day that we celebrate Jesus for dying for our sins on the cross which is good Friday and then conquering death by rising again on the third day which is Easter Sunday . We even talk about lent which lasts for 40 days and although I don't give up anything for lent , if when they get older, they choose to give up something they can. We even discuss holy week and how Jesus entered the city on a donkey and how everyone was excited to see him laying palm branches down and crying hosanna. And then we talk about what Easter means in the terms of mythology and how Ishtar pronounce Easter was the goddess of springtime and fertility and how her symbols include rabbits and eggs. So everything is done with a balance in our household.

Thanks to pinterest this year I found tons of Easter theme crafts to incorporate in our traditions and fun food to make. I am thinking that next year we will decorate the house with Easter theme stuff of both spiritual nature and secular nature. Hey I just had a wonderful Idea , since I love to shop I think I will decorate my house for every holiday coming up as well as do crafts for them..

Now going to our church service will always be apart of our traditions and yes we do attend church , I know some of you only go on Christmas, Easter, mother day a funerals. But my children do know what the inside of a church look like without Easter Lilies , poinsettias, and a casket down front. And always they will have a new Easter Sunday outfit and a new outfit to change into after sunday service as well as a special easter dinner at home complete with a egg hunt just for my kids . We will also attend local egg hunts around town









No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are sent to the blog owner and awaits approval before publishing to the page