Thursday, May 10, 2012

So You Attachment Parent????

Why do society look at those of us who attachment parent as though we have fallen off the back of a turnip truck? Why do they assume that our children's are running wild and out of control. I have serious issues when people question my reasonings for becoming an attachment parent and I am very outspoken and don't have any problems defending why I chose to attachment parent. A dear friend of mines made a valid point on why most folks don't quite understand attachment parents, this is what my friend "A" had to say:Older women simply don't understand attachment, because the research was just beginning to come out in their day and only psychologists knew about it; it wasn't in their baby books yet, so they followed the more early research on behaviorism which has, since, been found to be detrimental to the health of babies and their grown-up selves. If you'll notice, most people won't even use those tactics on dogs anymore. Our generation is different--we want peace, both in the world and in our famies, and we believe that both healthy relationships and world peace begin at the very beginning in the first "dyad" (smallest social group) or relationship pair--the mother/child.



For me as an attachment parent , everything comes so natural or I could say my motherly instincts come in to play. When my baby cries, I comfort him. I have learned all his cries so I will never let him simply just cry it out. I know when my baby is hungry, tired, agitated, or wet. I also feed on demand. I don't believe that it's okay for an infant to be out on a feeding schedule, they are babies and they have growth spurts so when I hear a hungry cry I don't say, hey I just Breastfed you one hour ago, I simply nurse him again, I believe my duty as his mother is to respond to his needs whether they are emotionally are physically, we also cosleep in my house . and it is so funny to me that my Lovebug when ready for a nap will come and get me and make me lay down with him, and I oblige him and do so until he falls asleep. I love comforting my baby to sleep whether it's through rocking , rubbing or just plain on cuddling. I noticed that our bond is so strong and I have faith that it will continue to stay strong , from talking with AP parents of older kids in their teens years, how the bond is still there and the kids feel so comfortable that they are able to talk with their parents about anything,

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are sent to the blog owner and awaits approval before publishing to the page